Men Rising is an initiative that grew out of men around the world responding to the call to end violence against ALL women and girls (cisgender, transgender, and those who hold fluid identities that are subject to gender based violence).
It recognizes that violence against women can only be addressed by engaging men. Rising events involve men and boys on an unprecedented scale – with men committing to doing everything in their power to be part of the solution to end violence. Through V-Day and One Billion Rising’s mass grassroots movements, men have organized, gathered, and mobilized other men to:
- Join the movement to end violence against ALL women and girls
- Encourage their peers to stop the abuse and to speak up about the rights of women and girls
- Hold themselves and other men accountable in breaking patterns of violence, and in acknowledging and transforming violent behavior.
- Hold space to reflect and transform their own relationships to male privilege and patriarchy
- Elevate the voices of survivors who want to share their stories; listen and advocate for them
- Treat women with respect, dignity and equality
- Commit to bringing attention to the rights of women
- Stand and rise for justice and dignity for all women
- Rise against all forms of patriarchy
- Fight for social justice for all women and girls
V-Day and One Billion Rising have seen groundbreaking, transformative initiatives led and organized by men, serving as an inspiration for other men around the world to be part of the radical shift in consciousness in how women and girls are treated and seen on the community and global level.
Men Rising will continue as a dynamic and essential part of the global call to revolution.
ALL MEN CAN JOIN THE EFFORT. HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Utilize Art to Start a Dialogue Among Your Friends, Communities, and Networks.
Read & Share a copy of The Apology
Read & Discuss The Apology in community spaces, using the Reading Group Guide
Eve Ensler created this piece entitled Man Prayer, Watch, Share & Discuss the video with your friends, communities & networks.
Join the Global Movement of Activists Working to end Violence against all women and girls. Produce an Event in Your Community:
- V-Day Say It Stage It: Produce a V-Day Benefit of The Vagina Monologues or A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant, and a Prayer as an Artistic Uprising at your college/university, in your community
- One Billion RISING: Rise in Solidarity – RISE in your community, for your community
- City of Joy: Turn Pain to Power – WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY
Screen the Documentary, Support the Women in DR Congo
Educate and Engage, LEARN ABOUT THE WORK OF MEN IN THE MOVEMENT –
Following are a series of blogs about Men Rising:
- Statement from V-Men Congo
- One Billion Rising for Justice Declaration for women signed by Bindura Chiefs in Zimbabwe
- Men Rising in Cameroon
- Men Rising! Coca Cola Factory Workers in Davao City Rising 2018
- Men Rising in Taiwan!
- MEN RISING Sri Lanka
- RISING: Young Men Rising in Swaziland
- The Man Prayer at One Billion Rising Santa Fe